Like for most things, there also is an App for PiP.
Therefore I am assuming that the technique is popular enough within mainstream culture to be turned into an application.
This also provides me with an outline of the very basics of “PiP”:
– the picture in the picture usually has a frame that separates it from the rest of the image
– the background tends to represent the location of the image
– the picture in the picture on the other hand focusses on the subject
– therefore it makes sense that the backgrounds is mostly to of focus, leading the attention to the picture in the picture
– Often the picture inside the picture continues lines within the background